Thursday, May 21, 2009

Rain is More Than A Hippie Name

Some people run away from the rain. I tend to run towards it. I guess it's for many reasons. First of all, I never wear expensive clothing. Second of all, I never wear expensive shoes. Third of all, sometimes I like to sneak a bar of soap outside in my pocket and than take a shower in the middle of the street. Just because I can. But I didn't sneak a bar of soap out today. I just went out into the rain.

I saw her before she saw me. In fact, I don't think she can see me at all. She is off in her own world, in whatever the hell kind of world those people live in. And by those people I mean fortune tellers, which I group in the same category as goths, supernaturalists, and religious people. I can no longer call her gait a walk. She is nothing less than staggering. Staggering through the park.

The rain pours down my face. I don't know why I'm following her but I am. I guess I have nothing better to do. She collapses under the slide, escaping from the rain. I turn and walk away.

Minutes, maybe hours later, an ambulance sounds. It seems to be coming from the general direction of the daycare center. I don't really think nothing of it. Another injury, perhaps a death, that's all it means. Lost, trapped in this dismal town, I find it hard to care. It's ironic that a town cursed by its people curses its people. It's as ironic as a fortune teller predicting her own death and than dying.

The Kay Jewelers commercial pries its way into my head. I start to get kind of... annoyed. I guess in this town "Every Kiss" will never begin with "E". Maybe it just has to be like that here. Forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment